SMM Zinc Survey - China Zinc Output Continues to Grow in December 2009-Shanghai Metals Market

Hot Keywords

  • Silicon
  • Nickel
  • Futures movement
  • Zinc
  • Copper scrap
  • Aluminium
  • Evening comments
  • Macroeconomics
  • Inventory data
  • Copper
  • Production data
  • Market commentary
  • MMi Iron Ore Port Index
  • निकल
  • minutes of internal morning meetings

SMM Zinc Survey - China Zinc Output Continues to Grow in December 2009

Data Analysis 02:22:05PM Jan 11, 2010 Source:SMM

SHANGHAI, Jan. 11 (SMM) -- A recent SMM survey of 39 zinc smelters (total capacity: 4.73 million mt/yr) revealed the following insights:

1) Operating Rates

According to the survey, output at the 39 zinc smelters during December was 320 kt, up RMB 1,300 mt compared with November levels, and with an average operating rate of 81.2%, down 1.4%. Operating rates at smelters with capacity between 20-100kt/yr were 80.2%, up 4% compared with November levels, while operating rates at smelters with capacity of 100-150kt/yr (including 100kt and 150kt) were 75.4%, down 9.6%. Operating rates at smelters with capacity greater than 150kt/yr were 83.9%, down 0.1% compared to November.

2) Raw Material Inventories

According to the SMM survey, virtually all smelters say raw material supply is sufficient, which will help reverse recent rumors that zinc smelters were reporting tight raw material supply due to heavy snowfalls in north China.

The survey reveals 25.6% of smelters say they have little or no inventories, while the remaining 74.4% of smelters say their zinc inventories were relatively high. This number was down slightly compared with a CBI survey in November 2009. SMM believes smelters undertook an active approach toward end of the year sales, with some smelter insiders even reporting bonuses will be lower if inventories are high.

 

Copyright © SMM. All Rights Reserved

None of this material may be used for any commercial or public use in any forms or means, without the prior written consent of SMM. For reproduction issue, please contact us by email: service.en@smm.cn

 

Price

more
#1 Refined Cu
Aug.22
46415.0
20.0
(0.04%)
Standard-Grade Copper
Aug.22
46405.0
20.0
(0.04%)
High-Grade Copper
Aug.22
46425.0
20.0
(0.04%)
Guixi copper
Aug.22
46435.0
25.0
(0.05%)
Low-quality copper
Aug.22
46370.0
20.0
(0.04%)

SMM Zinc Survey - China Zinc Output Continues to Grow in December 2009

Data Analysis 02:22:05PM Jan 11, 2010 Source:SMM

SHANGHAI, Jan. 11 (SMM) -- A recent SMM survey of 39 zinc smelters (total capacity: 4.73 million mt/yr) revealed the following insights:

1) Operating Rates

According to the survey, output at the 39 zinc smelters during December was 320 kt, up RMB 1,300 mt compared with November levels, and with an average operating rate of 81.2%, down 1.4%. Operating rates at smelters with capacity between 20-100kt/yr were 80.2%, up 4% compared with November levels, while operating rates at smelters with capacity of 100-150kt/yr (including 100kt and 150kt) were 75.4%, down 9.6%. Operating rates at smelters with capacity greater than 150kt/yr were 83.9%, down 0.1% compared to November.

2) Raw Material Inventories

According to the SMM survey, virtually all smelters say raw material supply is sufficient, which will help reverse recent rumors that zinc smelters were reporting tight raw material supply due to heavy snowfalls in north China.

The survey reveals 25.6% of smelters say they have little or no inventories, while the remaining 74.4% of smelters say their zinc inventories were relatively high. This number was down slightly compared with a CBI survey in November 2009. SMM believes smelters undertook an active approach toward end of the year sales, with some smelter insiders even reporting bonuses will be lower if inventories are high.

 

Copyright © SMM. All Rights Reserved

None of this material may be used for any commercial or public use in any forms or means, without the prior written consent of SMM. For reproduction issue, please contact us by email: service.en@smm.cn