SHANGHAI, Oct 27 (SMM) – The State Council issued and action plan for the carbon peak before 2030 on October 26. The plan proposes to actively develop "new energy + energy storage”, the source-network-load-storage integration, and multi-energy complementarity, in order to support the rational allocation of energy storage systems for the distributed new energy sources. The plan points out that the government should vigorously promote new energy vehicles, gradually reduce the proportion of traditional fuel vehicles in the production and sales of new vehicles and ownership, facilitate the electrification of urban public service vehicles, and promote the application of heavy-duty freight vehicles powered by electricity, hydrogen fuel and LNG.
By 2025, the proportion of non-fossil energy consumption will reach about 20%, the energy consumption per unit of GDP will be reduced by 13.5% from 2020, and the carbon dioxide emissions per unit of GDP will be reduced by 18% from 2020, laying a solid foundation for achieving the carbon peak. By 2030, the proportion of non-fossil energy consumption will reach about 25%, and the carbon dioxide emissions per unit of GDP will drop by more than 65% from 2005.
Green and low-carbon transition of energy
- The government will vigorously develop the new energy industry by comprehensively promote the large-scale and high-quality development of wind power and solar power. China will further improve the guarantee mechanism for the consumption of recyclable energy power. The total installed capacity of wind power and solar power generation will reach more than 1.2 billion kilowatts by 2030.
- China will develop hydropower according to the local conditions and actively promote the construction of hydropower bases. During the "14th Five-Year Plan" and "15th Five-Year Plan" periods, the newly added hydropower installed capacity should reach about 40 million kilowatts, and a renewable energy system based on hydropower should be basically established in south-west China.
- By 2025, the installed capacity of new energy storage will reach more than 30 million kilowatts. By 2030, the installed capacity of pumped storage power stations will reach about 120 million kilowatts, and the provincial power grid will basically have a peak load response capacity of more than 5%.
Carbon peak action in the industrial sector
By 2025, China’s domestic crude oil processing capacity will be controlled within 1 billion mt, and the capacity utilisation rate of the major products will increase to more than 80%.
Carbon peak action for urban and rural construction
By 2025, the green building standards will be fully implemented for new buildings in cities and towns. The replacement rate of renewable energy in urban buildings will reach 8%, and the photovoltaic coverage rate of the roofs of new public institution buildings and new factory buildings will reach 50%.
Green and low carbon action in transportation
- By 2030, the proportion of new energy and clean energy-powered vehicles will reach about 40%, and the carbon emission intensity of operating vehicles will be reduced by about 9.5% from 2020. The national railway unit's comprehensive energy consumption ratio will decrease by 10% from 2020. The oil consumption by land transportation will strive to reach its peak by 2030.
- During the "14th Five-Year Plan" period, the combined transportation volume of containerised molten iron should increase by more than 15% annually.
- By 2030, the proportion of green travel in the cities with a permanent population of more than 1 million in urban areas should exceed 70%.
- China will strive to fully electrify the vehicles and equipment in civil transportation airports by 2030.
Circular economy boosts carbon reduction actions
- By 2030, all key industrial parks at or above the provincial level should complete the recyclable transform.
- The annual utilisation of bulk solid waste will reach about 4 billion mt by 2025 and about 4.5 billion mt by 2030.
- The recycled volume of 9 major renewable resources including iron and steel scrap, copper scrap, aluminium scrap, lead scrap, zinc scrap, paper scrap, plastics scrap, rubber scrap, and glass scrap will reach 450 million mt by 2025 and 510 million mt by 2030 mt.
- By 2025, the municipal solid waste classification system will be basically sound, and the resource utilisation rate of solid waste will increase to about 60%. By 2030, the classification of urban domestic waste will achieve full coverage, and the proportion of domestic waste resource utilisation will increase to 65%.
Consolidation and enhancement of carbon sequestration capacity
By 2030, the national forest coverage rate will reach about 25%, and the forest stock will reach 19 billion cubic metres.