Zijin Mining to commission China’s largest copper mine by end-2021

Published: Jun 11, 2020 11:34
Zijin Mining will “unswervingly” push for the commissioning of Qulong copper mine, the largest in China, at the end of 2021, said Chen Jinghe, Chairman of the Chinese mining behemoth.

SHANGHAI, Jun 11 (SMM) – Zijin Mining will “unswervingly” push for the commissioning of Qulong copper mine, the largest in China, at the end of 2021, said Chen Jinghe, Chairman of the Chinese mining behemoth.

 

The Qulong mine is located in southwest China’s Tibet and owned by Tibet Julong Copper, which is likely to be taken over by Zijin Mining.

 

Zijin Mining said Sunday it will acquire a 50.1% share in the Tibet-based mining firm for 3.88 billion yuan ($547.7 million), which is expected to further cement its position as a copper giant and ease the risks brought on by mining operations overseas to its overall revenues.

 

This move came after the mining behemoth had a major setback in its Papua New Guinea (PNG) gold mining operations.

 

Qulong deposit will be exploited via large-scale open-pit mining, and the construction will be carried out in two phases. With investment of 14.6 billion yuan, the phase 1 is expected to come online at the end of next year, which will be able to produce 165,000 mt of copper and 6,200 mt of molybdenum per year.

 

In addition to Qulong, Tibet Julong also owns Zhibula and Rongmucuola projects.

 

Zijin Mining, meanwhile, is making rapid progress at the Kamoa-Kakula copper mining complex in DR Congo. Construction of the project is expected to be completed in 2021, and the initial phase will be able to process 6 million mt of ore per year at Kakula. The project is expected to produce 382,000 mt of copper per year on average in the first decade, and will ramp up to 740,000 mt in the 12th year.

 

By 2022, Zijin Mining’s copper mine output is expected to reach 670,000-740,000 mt, making the top 10 across the globe.

Data Source Statement: Except for publicly available information, all other data are processed by SMM based on publicly available information, market communication, and relying on SMM's internal database model. They are for reference only and do not constitute decision-making recommendations.

For any inquiries or for more information, please contact: lemonzhao@smm.cn
For more information on how to access our research reports, please contact:service.en@smm.cn
Related News
Lundin Mining Cuts 2026 Copper Production Guidance After Severe Storms in Chile
1 hour ago
Lundin Mining Cuts 2026 Copper Production Guidance After Severe Storms in Chile
Read More
Lundin Mining Cuts 2026 Copper Production Guidance After Severe Storms in Chile
Lundin Mining Cuts 2026 Copper Production Guidance After Severe Storms in Chile
Lundin Mining has lowered its 2026 copper production guidance after a second severe winter storm disrupted operations at its Caserones mine in Chile’s Atacama region, extending downtime and delaying the site’s recovery.​ The latest storm began on August 13 and brought heavy rainfall at lower elevations, together with unusually heavy snowfall and strong winds at higher altitudes. Caserones suffered a second power outage on August 14 after severe weather re-damaged a transmission tower that had already been affected by an earlier storm in July.​ The mine had previously experienced a power outage from July 18 to July 30. Lundin had initially expected the impact of the first disruption to be contained within the lower end of its original guidance range, but the second storm delayed the return to full operations and prompted a further revision to the company’s outlook.​ Caserones’ 2026 copper production guidance has been reduced to 120,000–130,000 tonnes, from 130,000–140,000 tonnes previously. Cash cost guidance has also been raised to $2.15–$2.35/lb, from $2.05–$2.25/lb.​ At the group level, Lundin Mining now expects consolidated 2026 copper production of 300,000–325,000 tonnes. Candelaria is still expected to meet its full-year production guidance, limiting the impact of the weather disruption largely to Caserones.​ Repair crews are working to restore the damaged transmission infrastructure, with full power expected by the end of the week before a gradual ramp-up of operations. Backup generators are continuing to support critical site infrastructure in the meantime.​ From a copper-market perspective, the guidance cut adds to a series of weather-related supply disruptions in Chile this year. The reduction at Caserones is relatively modest in global terms, but repeated operational setbacks across major Chilean mines continue to reinforce concerns around the reliability of near-term supply from the world’s largest copper-producing country.
1 hour ago
Korea Eximbank to Provide $1 Billion to Glencore to Secure Copper Supply
4 hours ago
Korea Eximbank to Provide $1 Billion to Glencore to Secure Copper Supply
Read More
Korea Eximbank to Provide $1 Billion to Glencore to Secure Copper Supply
Korea Eximbank to Provide $1 Billion to Glencore to Secure Copper Supply
The Export-Import Bank of Korea said on August 17 that it will provide $1 billion in financial support to Glencore, on the condition that the company supplies copper to Korean companies during the loan period. The funds will be used as Glencore’s general operating capital, while the financing structure is designed to help Korean companies secure key raw materials. Glencore operates mines, smelting assets and trading networks across multiple regions, including exposure to copper-producing countries such as Chile and Peru. Korea Eximbank said Glencore’s diversified asset and trading base could provide alternative procurement channels if supply disruptions occur in a specific country or mine. The arrangement does not add near-term copper production, but it strengthens copper procurement security for Korean companies.
4 hours ago
Vale accelerates Salobo coarse-particle flotation, adding 30kt copper by H1 2028
4 hours ago
Vale accelerates Salobo coarse-particle flotation, adding 30kt copper by H1 2028
Read More
Vale accelerates Salobo coarse-particle flotation, adding 30kt copper by H1 2028
Vale accelerates Salobo coarse-particle flotation, adding 30kt copper by H1 2028
Vale Base Metals confirmed it is proceeding with the Coarse Particle Flotation project at its Salobo copper complex in Brazil, lifting annual ore processing capacity by 6 million tonnes to 42 million tonnes and adding up to about 30,000 tonnes of copper in concentrate per year, with roughly 15,000 ounces of gold as by-product. Start-up is accelerated to the first half of 2028, about one year ahead of plan. Capex was optimised to about US$215 million from US$225-275 million, with Wheaton Precious Metals funding US$40 million, leaving VBM net spend near US$175 million and project IRR above 50%. It is the second step in VBM's low-capital Carajás brownfield copper pipeline.
4 hours ago