SHANGHAI, Aug. 28 (SMM) – On August 21, China’s Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP), National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) and eight other departments, together with government of Beijing and five other governments, jointly issued Air Pollution Comprehensive Treatment Action Program in Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei and Surrounding Regions during Autumn and Winter 2017-2018 (short as “Action Program”).
Bulls Watch Out: Aluminum Stocks in China Exceed 1.5 Million Tonnes, SMM Warns
Back in March this year, China issued Air Pollution Prevention and Treatment Work Program in Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei and Surrounding Regions in 2017 (short as “Work Program”).
SMM has listed the differences between these two documents as below:
1. The Action Program covers a longer period of time, lasting from October 2017 till March 2018.
2. The Action Program specifically emphasizes Xiong’an New District, Xinji, Dingzhou, all of which are in Hebei, as well as Gongyi, Lankao County, Hua County, Changyuan County and Zhengzhou Airport Zone, all of which are in Henan. These areas are included in the “2+26” key regions for environmental protection, namely Beijing, Tianjin, and 26 smaller cities in the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region and nearby areas.
3. The Action Program requires completing excess capacity reduction task in advance, but aluminum industry is not mentioned.
4. Under the Action Program, some producers in steel, coking and casting industries will be subject to off-peak production, all producers in construction material industry will be subject to off-peak production, producers in nonferrous metals and chemical industries shall optimize production adjustments.
5. The Action Program requires that pollutant discharge permits shall be issued in copper, lead and zinc smelting, aluminum, raw material medicine manufacturing and pesticide industries, etc., before the end of December 2017.
6. The Action Program requires that production shall be cut by half in secondary nonferrous metals melting and casting process.
7. Under the Action Program, trucks whose emissions exceed required levels shall be banned, which will force companies to raise the ratio of railway shipments. Local governments must formulate “one program for one individual company” off-peak transport implementation programs for shipments of bulk raw materials and products, such as steel, coking, nonferrous metals, power and chemicals industries, during winter heating season. The ratio of transport vehicles that meet "China IV" emission standards or above shall be over 80% during winter heating season.
8. According to the Action Program, industrial enterprises must implement “one program for one individual company” during heavily-polluted days.
9. According to the Action Program, Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) and MEP shall guide local governments to carry out off-peak production in industrial industry.
10. People who fail to perform duty, perform duty slowly or breach duty, shall be held accountable.
For news cooperation, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.