BEIJING, Jan. 27 -- China named and shamed more than 10,000 workshops and selling groups in dust and poisonous material-related industries last year in a bid to fight against occupational diseases, according to the Ministry of Health (MOH).
The figure was revealed at a national meeting on food safety and sanitation supervision on Monday amid an ongoing campaign on regulating workshops and selling companies in the fields of mining, quartzite processing, gem processing, stone processing, smelting and cement production among others.
The campaign, starting in last August, was jointly launched by the State Administration of Work Safety, the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security and All-China Federation of Labor.
Earlier this month, 152 workers at an electrical and lighting company in south China's Guangdong province were found to have suspected mercury poisoning, showing symptoms such as headaches, hair loss, joint aches and shivers.
According to the company, all six production lines of the workshop used liquid mercury, but some workers seldom took the trouble to wear a mask at work.
Vice Health Minister Chen Xiaohong said at the meeting that the ministry is currently working with other departments to set up regular meetings at ministerial level on the prevention and control of occupational diseases.
The MOH is also aiming to set up a network against occupational diseases at grassroot level while providing basic job-related health services for migrant workers, said Chen.